The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 24, 2020

August 15 - 17, 1975


Friday, August 15, 1975 Billie’s first day at home

A nice day, not too hot but very comfortable. Betty and Zak up for breakfast. I done up my work. Then I put my clothes out and then I went to town with Betty. Carmen, Kim and Zak and Esther and Vince went to Penneys. Esther bought some school clothes. In p.m. we picked Betty’s shell beans and froze them. Fern came up and helped. Came home, got supper done up, dishes. Betty and kids called. Billie and Zak tried out the new car then Betty, Kim, Zak and I. Kimmy help me get the clothes in. Betty bought some more or rest of the school clothes.



Saturday, August 16, 1975 DENNIS and Girlfriend at Dorothea’s

A nice sunny day, not too hot. I done my regular wook, washed floors. Kimmy up here, she helped. Then she, Bill and I went down to Dorothea’s. We got Carmen’s bike and brought it home. We saw DENNIS. He was there with a girlfriend. Came home. Fern was here. She and Billie had the shell beans all picked and shelled. I canned and froze them.



Sunday, August 17, 1975

Partly cloudy, some sun. I done regular work. I changed the beds. I defrosted refrigerator, did a lot of mending. Billie done a few things. In p.m. he went up to Chet’s. Bill didn’t do much. Keith Bryant called and Ilan. Fern, Lloyd in p.m. and the Hortons in evening. Fern and Lloyd went to the dedication of the new church. The Christian Missionary Alliance Church. The first part was built to 1970, this is the second part. It is a very nice pretty church. The service was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment