The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 1, 2020

February 4 - 6, 1974


Tuesday, February 4, 1975 Dr. for cows, 15 below, Carmen to hospital for x-rays etc

Another cold day but it has been sunny and no wind. It was more comfortable. I did a big wash in a.m. Mr. Saltman called. Betty to her meeting. Billie had Dr. Gauger for the cows. They all have bad colds and threatened with pneumonia. In p.m. he went to Twitchell and got a electric fan for the tie up. Zak here all afternoon. This afternoon Betty took Carmen to the Maine Medical Center for x-ray on her back. All showed up all good. They found she is one rib missing and the spine is crooked in one place. What a relief. No operation or no braces. All the Horton’s here for supper last night except Kimmy. She had supper with the Brownies.


Wednesday, February 7, 1975 CARMEN CHRISTIE B. HORTON
Today Carmen is 12 years old. I done my work, went down to Betty’s as soon as the kids left. We went to town shopping. Came home, got lunch and got my work done up. Betty down town and went to the school to see Kimmy’s teacher and Zak’s. Zak here all p.m. I did my ironing. I got a nice baked ham dinner in observance of Carmen’s 12th birthday. She is a very nice polite sweet thoughtful innocent young lady. If all are as nice as she is this would be a better world. Some are very good. Bill put the new fan in the barn, but it didn’t work. Too powerful.



Thursday, February 6, 1975 28 above

It was 28 above this morning. It is snowing. Billie called at Grangers in Portland for a smaller fan. They had one. Betty and I went down and picked it up. Bill installed it this p.m. after taking the large one out. Then Betty took me to town to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment