The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 11, 2020

March 12 - 15, 1975


Wednesday, March 12, 1975

It dawned cloudy and stormy looking this morning. I done my regular wash and worked on my scraps. About all I done today.



Thursday, March 13, 1975

A fair day. I done up my work. I worked on my scraps. Bill took me to town in p.m. Betty called. I made a mince pie for supper.



Friday, March 14, 1975

A fair and partly cloudy day. I went down to school with Betty to a musical entertainment put on by Zack’s class. It was very good and they all enjoyed it. Many of the parents were there. I came home, washed my windows. Made a cake, got my work done up before I went. Bill went down to see Mr. Levenstein about the lot Jean gave him. Kim came up after supper to stay all night. Esther and Cliff called for the evening too. Esther looks very bad and only weighs 125 pounds. Hope she is okay.



Saturday, March 15, 1975

Well we got up and it was snowing and blowing. It didn’t amount to anything, it soon became partly cloudy. I done up my regular work. Kim helped with the cooking. Bill plowed out the driveways. Billie slept a lot this morning. Has a headache, he has had for several days. Dr. Gauger came to give the calf a shot for a cold. Also clamp the bull of Walt’s. I washed kitchen floor. Kimmy has had a good time playing with her sewing machine etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment