The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Februay 7 - 9, 1975


Friday, February 7, 1975

I washed, down to Betty’s, washed and washed my windows. Cleaned up the house. Went to town in p.m. Carmen to school dance tonight. Lisa Osgood went with her. She stayed at Carmen’s last night. Carmen had a good time at the dance. Walt, Betty, Zak and Kim up here after supper to look at the letter Bill got from his lawyer today. Kim went in and lay on my bed. She went to sleep and didn’t feel very good so they left her up here for the night.



Saturday, February 8, 1975

A nice sunny day. I did a lot of work. Washed floor, dusted, vacuumed, cooked and ironed Kimmy helped to do the cooking. She was in bed most of the day. She don’t feel too good. Billie been working in the barn most of the day. Bill helped him. Billie went over to North Norway with Lawrence to Thurston farm in p.m. Esther and Cliff came over in a.m. Cliff helped them to get the snow off barn roof. Robert called today. Also Carmen and her friend Lisa.



Sunday, February 9, 1985

Cloudy and snowing today. I done up my regular work. Got a pot roast started. Asked Fern and Lloyd up for dinner, but Esther and Cliff down there. I got ready and went over to Ilan and Minnie’s for open house. Fern, Betty and I went. Also Walt and Zak. It was very nice. They have a very nice family. Ilan and Minnie have a very nice looking brand-new home. Kimmy up here again last night, she feels much better. She went home. Walt didn’t feel too good, said he was going home and take a rest. Billie up to Chet’s. They are better. Still wet in the barn today.




No comments:

Post a Comment