The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

March 4 - 7, 1975


Tuesday, March 4, 1975

Another nice yet on the very cold and some wind. In forenoon we went to Bridgton. Billie and I did, paid monthly bills. Came home and I washed, made a cake (carrot) and did an ironing. Got a early supper and went to town meeting with Esther and Cliff. It was a long and much discussed meeting. We came home before it was all over. Dominic Cardosi was elected a selectmen also Brock Clark Junior.




Wednesday, March 5, 1975

I was down to Betty’s this forenoon a little while. We cleaned up her house. In p.m. she came up and help me pack my groceries away. I read some papers and got some odds and end jobs done.



Thursday, March 6, 1975

A nice day but on the cool side. I washed. Done up regular work and done all the ironing. Dawn at Betty’s today. I went to town in p.m., got a few things that were on sale. In evening Esther came over. Also Betty and Walt were here to see Bill. Walt went to see the lawyer and he said it was all set now with the last tax payment made and a written order from the lawyer, Bill can sell the property or whatever he wants to do. It has been three years since Jean died and left him the lot. Carmen up after school a little while.



Friday, March 7, 1975 battery

It was very mild today but it got cloudy in p.m. I done regular work. Called at Betty’s a little while. Then I washed my windows, washed clothes and cooked a cake and some cookies. Betty up here in p.m. then she went to town, got a new battery for car. Zak here from the time he got home from school till late p.m. I finished looking at the photo albums of Betty’s, very good. Bill feels at ease about his land from Jean. He will soon have permission to sell it. Walt home early today. Betty took Marcia to Norway in a.m. Carmen and Kim rode the horses tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment