The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 22, 2020

April 18 - 20, 1975 Pie Flop


Friday, April 18, 1975

This has been a beautiful day. Bill worked at Betty’s on Kimmy’s Playhouse or room. Betty and I cleaned the shed chamber. In a.m. Betty was feeling miserable I’d say. I went to town with her in p.m., we got smelts for supper. Had a good supper, smelts and fried parsnips.



Saturday, April 19, 1975 it was foggy and some showers in forenoon

A very nice mild day, mild temperatures, the fields got bare today. I made bread, cake, cleaned up (the Saturday cleaning) house. Carmen came up, Esther came over. She put a rinse on her hair because my sink is lower down. Billie went with Lawrence downstate. Grass is green and some people had peas planted down the line. Bill didn’t do a thing as usual. It cleared about 2 o’clock. Linda Diane Smith started back home today. Walt worked most all day. This is been a great day in Concord and Lexington Massachusetts. A big celebration beginning of the countries Bicentennial. It was very good, thousands of people.



Sunday, April 20, 1975 windy

This is a real April day. Partly cloudy and sunny and quite windy. I couldn’t wash, it was so windy. I made a custard pie and it was a FLOP. I took bath, done up regular work, made that pie. Billie didn’t seem to be feeling very good. Bill not doing anything, went in and laid down twice or more. Upset I guess. Late this p.m. Dorothea and David called. They stayed for supper. Carmen came up tonight to stay all night.


No comments:

Post a Comment