The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 15, 2020

March 26- 28, 1975 Esther in the Hosptial


Wednesday, March 26, 1975 ESTHER TO HOSPITAL

Partly cloudy day but very windy. What a windy cold day. I done my regular work. We got ready and took the two cats over, one of her males and ours over to the vets to be operated on. At noon Esther entered the Northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital for preparations of an operation on Friday. Fern’s feet are very bad. Kennard is in very poor condition because of his wife.



Thursday, March 27, 1975 windy, Kimmy came home sick

Clear, sunny but very windy. I got my work done up early and went down to Betty’s. After she got the kids off to school we left and went over to Norway and got the cats. Our male and one of hers was operated on. Hope they stay to home better now. Then she came home and went to Dawn’s. I then went to town and done my shopping. When I came home and did a big wash and took them down to the house and dried them in the dryer. Mary Ann called in a.m. Then in late p.m. while I was down to Betty’s drying clothes she called down there. Betty came while she was there. I had Zak today. Esther entered the Northern Cumberland Hospital at noon yesterday for a operation. Betty and I called to see her. Kimmy came home from school sick this PM. Bill went and got her.



Friday, March 28, 1975 ESTHER

A nice sunny day but cold. Wind still blowing. I went down to Betty’s early. I stayed there with the kids and got them off to school. Esther wanted Betty to come down to the hospital when she went in for her operation. Cliff was there too. At 8 AM they wheeled her into the operating room, at 11 it was all over. They removed an ulcer from her stomach as large as a baseball. She will be okay, no cancer which we and her too was afraid of. A good clean slate of health now. It was such a big relief. Susan came up in p.m. to go to see her mother. I kept her children while she went. Susan was very pleased too. Betty and Zak went to Portland to get Walt. He done some soil testing jobs on way home. After supper Betty and I called to see Esther. She was more conscious.


No comments:

Post a Comment