The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 19, 2020

April 9 - 11, 1975


Wednesday, April 9, 1975

No work for Billie until Monday. Well when we got up again this morning it was a cloudy day. It is so disgusting. Next week is SPRING vacation week and there is more snow than we had during the winter vacation. Betty and I went to Norway. Came home, done a few jobs, ironed etc. Esther came about 2 PM. I washed my hair, put a rinse on. After supper, which was a tenderloin steak supper, Esther enjoyed it very much. When Betty and the children came we went down to LRHS where Kimmy was in a Brownie entertainment. It was very nice and we enjoyed it very much. Also the scouts (girl) received their awards etc. Walt on jury duty and has been elected jury foreman.



Thursday, April 10, 1975 a beautiful day

This morning the sun came up when we got up. The first time it has come up, in over a week, in the morning. It has been a beautiful day. I washed, done up my work. Made a cake, chicken pie. Cleaned up the hood on the stove. Lloyd called. Betty and I went up to get milk. Heidi Hatch went with us, she is visiting with Zak today. Her mother has gone away. Bill and Billie cleaned the truck and cars.



Friday, April 11, 1975

A quite nice sunny day. Billie still home. Betty and I got ready and went down to Ferns. We cleaned her cupboards. I came home, we went to town. Betty did some shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment