The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 4, 2020

February 14 - 16, 1974


Friday, February 14, 1975 very cold and some wind

A very nice day. Billie didn’t work today. It is for Washington’s Birthday. He and Bill put the window back in the tie up. Also made a stall for the calf. I did a big wash and clothes froze as I put them on the line. Cliff camping out with the Boy Scouts. I went to town, done a lot of odds and end jobs. Calf is doing fine. Kim to school. She and Zak had their Valentines partys today at school. I also got a nice Valentines box of chocolates, we also got cards. Betty, Zak and I called at Ferns after supper. Lloyd fell down and hurt his back. This is the beginning of the second annual carnival.




Saturday, February 15, 1975

A very nice sunny mild day. I’ve been busy all day. Washed windows, swept, dusted, washed floors, cooked and done a lot of odds and end jobs. I went to town. Betty and Walt called in PM. Billie called at Fern and Lloyd’s. He went to Norway, bought Betty a can (electric) opener for her birthday.



Sunday, February 16, 1975 Hortons up for dinner

A very nice mild sunny day. Today I had the Horton family up today for dinner for Betty’s 32nd birthday. We had the usual roast pork dinner and the whip cream cake. They all enjoyed it. Kids going down to the Winter Carnival skating after supper. This is the last day of the carnival. I washed. Billie up to Lil’s.



No comments:

Post a Comment