The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

March 29 - 31, 1975 Easter Sunday and Robert Enters NCMH


Saturday, March 29, 1975 DOROTHEA LOOKS GOOD

Cold. Not a very pleasant day, it was cloudy all day. I done up my regular work. Made a pie, cupcakes and a tier cake. Made a salad. George Packard here in a.m. Bill, Walt and George down in the woods looking at the pulp and timber over on Walt’s. Betty and Zak called in p.m. Dorothea called. She paid for the car which we didn’t want her to. She told us about where she and Joy went the night before. It was very interesting. She was so happy and for the main reason, her Weight. She looks very nice, I’m so pleased. It makes her feel so much better. In p.m. she and Betty called to see Esther. She is much better. Carmen, Kim and Zak went to the Easter party at the church. Dorothea paid Bill $200 for the car.



Sunday March 30, 1975 Easter Sunday

What a miserable day for Easter. It snowed almost all day. Later in the day it was mixed with rain. We had a Easter dinner, baked ham and all the fixings and the Horton family all were here. They seem to enjoy it. About 4 PM the sun came out. During the afternoon Betty and Walt went down to the hospital to see Esther. They all went home about five. Esther is a lot improved.



Monday, March 31, 1975 WINDY, ROBERT IN HOSPITAL

It was a very windy day and freezing cold when I hung my clothes out. They froze on the line. I went down to Betty’s. She was sick with a sore throat. Carmen had asthma. I helped to get the kids off. Later in a.m. Betty and I went to town. Betty shopped. I cashed Bills check, he put him into his pocket instead of the bank. We went to get milk and butter. Robert went to the Northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital about noon today. A bad case of asthma and emphysema.


No comments:

Post a Comment