The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 30, 2020

October 6 - 8, 1974


Sunday, October 6, 1974 very mild

Another very nice mild day. Sunny, hot. I done regular work, got ready, went down to Betty’s and helped her to get her windows washed and the storm windows on. Billie worked up to the camp again today or in a.m. Betty, kids and I went over to see the Keen barn, it burned flat last night. Most of the shed and ells. We ate at a cookout at Betty’s. Dorothea and David gone for a ride up in the mountains. Billie gone with Lawrence.



Monday, October 7, 1974 Dorothea, $35

Another nice day, mild. Some cloudy. I done up my work and talked with Dorothea for a long time. She is facing problems with David. Hard to believe. Take this with her troubles with Jeff and how much can she take. I wish I could help her in some way. Possibly it will work out as it should. She is so upset, it’s too bad, she is such a good, kind and thoughtful soul. I feel so bad for her. Bill worked at Mattie Crockford’s. I was down to Betty’s but we didn’t get anything done. We went shopping in p.m. Kim to a birthday party and out for supper tonight after school.



Tuesday, October 8, 1974 Bill worked at the cottage

Bill worked at the cottage. This is been a very pretty day, the colored leaves are extremely beautiful this fall. I had Zak while Betty went to her club meeting. I washed. Betty and I went to town. The new car is very pretty and I enjoy it as much as the Hortons do.

No comments:

Post a Comment