The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 25, 2020

September 18 - 21, 1974


Wednesday, September 18, 1974 KILLED THE HENS

A partly cloudy day. Mostly sunny. I washed, ironed and made an apple pie. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. for a minute. Zak came up here to stay till time to go to school. Betty over to Bonnie’s to the coffee party. In p.m. I went down to Betty’s a little while. I watched some TV programs. After supper Billie and I killed these hens for the freezer. Carmen and Kimberly joined the Girl Scouts. Betty up to Lil’s. She is quite good.




Thursday, September 19, 1974 Put Pullets in tonight

A cloudy dreary day. I did regular work. Zak up here in a.m. Betty down to Dawn’s. I made some donuts, ironed, cooked two hens, one was for Betty. Tonight we put the pullets in. They look so nice in the nice new clean pen.



Friday, September 20, 1974

Today Betty took me to town. Then we came home and went down to her house and killed her old hens. Bill helped, he also cleaned out her hens house for her. New pullets to be put in. Bill and Billie helped Walt and Betty get the pullets in tonight. Robert bought seven of her old hens.



Saturday, September 21, 1974

Today it has been a cloudy rainy day. I got up early because they were to spread the hen dressing down to Walt’s. David and Dorothea came at about 10. They, Bill, Billie, Walt and David started and at about 5:30 they got it all hauled and spread. It rained off and on all day. It was hard work and they all were tired. At night for supper the Crooks, Thomases and Hortons all ate together at Crook’s. Dorothea, Betty and I called at Thomases in p.m. Joy called here and Debbie. Buddy’s mother is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment