The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

August 16 - 19, 1974


Friday, August 16, 1974

Another hot day. I was down to Betty’s. I done my work. Then helped her with shell beans, also Fern and Lloyd came up. Betty took me to town this p.m. I had a very late supper. Esther over after supper. Betty to the dentist. She took Bills lunch down today. Kim up here again tonight.



Saturday, August 17, 1974 cloudy and hazy, we had some RAIN

Quite hot and humid. It was overcast all day. In late p.m. it was showery. A good rain. It helped some. Billie helped Walt haul a load of hay from Kay Thomas. I done my regular work all day. Bill worked at Cliff’s. Kim down to her house while the company was there. Came back up for tonight.



Sunday, August 18, 1974

Another nice day. The rain we got last night did a lot of good. I done my regular work. Washed, made a potato salad. Got ready and went down to Betty’s. They had roasted corn and cold ham salad, ice cream etc. Very good meal. Zak came home with us for a few nights. Kim went home. Walt and Bill done some soil testing.



Monday, August 19, 1974 $35 from Walt, Bill working at Camp Encore

Another nice hot day. I did some washing. Betty, Zak, Kim and I went to town and to Denmark. Bill began to work up to Camp Encore today. Today Bill got a business letter from the lawyer today. Walt is going to check it out tomorrow if he has time. Carmen came down to Dorothea’s from Joy’s. Dorothea went up and got her. Tonight Betty, Walt, Bill and Billie hauled the furniture home from Mrs. Vose. She bought them from her. We called there today. Had some rain. Zak up here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment