The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 12, 2020

August 7 - 9, 1974 Nanny's Birthday


Wednesday, August 7, 1974 Kitten

Another very nice day. I done my regular work. Went down and done a small wash down to Betty’s. Helped her with her beans, also Fern. Betty went away to call on someone. Louise and children called down there. I came home and done my own beans. After supper Bill and I called to see Stan. He is real well. Today Bill met with Dr. Reese about the property settlement. This afternoon the youngest kitten at Betty’s got hurt by a dog. Kimmy got so awful shook up. She and her sister are both so tenderhearted. Betty took him to the vets. He may be okay.



Thursday, August 8, 1974

A very nice day, very warm. I done regular work and went to Norway with Betty, Kim, Zak to get the cat or kitten, he is better. Down to Betty’s in p.m. Didn’t do much. I had a birthday 64 years. It was observed very quietly and that is the way I like it. I went to town. In evening Pres. Richard Nixon made his resignation speech. It was very moving and touching. He leaves tomorrow for his home in California. He was in on the Watergate doings. Too bad.



Friday, August 9, 1974 Pres. Ford

Nice hot day again. We need rain very bad. I done regular work down to Betty’s. She had to go to the dentist. Louise called there in p.m. Bill clean the hens out. Today Pres. Nixon left, a touching sight to some. Pres. Ford was sworn in. I watched it on TV.



No comments:

Post a Comment