The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 9, 2020

July 28- 30, 1974 Picnic at Cold River







Sunday, July 28, 1974

Well when we got up it was a miserable looking day, cloudy and foggy. Well I went ahead and got ready to go on the picnic. All arrived here about 9:30 and we left at about 10. It sprinkled all the way up. Stopped when we got up there. We prepared the feast and all ate capless freedom hardly and enjoyed it very much. A little later it began to sprinkle. All had got done eating. So we packed up and came home. Walt, Betty, Carmen, Kimberly, Zak, David, Dorothea, Fern, Lloyd, Cliff, Esther, Chris, Monica, Bill, Billie and me. After Billie got home he went with Lawrence to freedom New Hampshire for cattle and pigs. Betty, Walt and Zak called in late p.m. It came and it rained hard later. This day was in observance of Dorothea’s birthday and Betty and Walt’s wedding anniversary.



Monday, July 29, 1974 Dorothea 37 today, Betty and Walt married seven years

A very miserable day, cloudy and showers. I didn’t do much. Betty cleaned her barn up. I went down to Betty’s. In evening Walt took her out to supper. I babysat. Dorothea called and talked. Bill worked at Cliff’s today.



Tuesday, July 30, 1974

Not at all a very nice day. Cloudy and showers. I did a dite of washing. Betty and I over to Denmark for a while. In evening Betty and Walt called. Walt had seen the lawyer of Bills in Portland. The lawyer wants to have it arranged that Jack, Gordon and Bill all meet and make some decisions on the business of the estate. I cleaned up the house and ironed.


No comments:

Post a Comment