The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

June 30 - July 2, 1974 Jeff to Michigan


Sunday, June 30, 1974

A fair day. I done regular work, changed my beds and ironed and washed. Kim here all day. Fern and Lloyd called also Bob and Pat. It was on the hot side. Bill and Billie worked on the cow stalls in the tie up. Walt and Betty looking at a horse. Today they put the roof up on the back porch.



Christie died this past month. They built a barn. This school year ended this month.


Monday, July 1, 1974

A nice day, some clouds at times. Bill worked on the barn. I done up my regular work. I went down to Betty’s. We cleaned her house up. In p.m. she and I went down to Kezar Falls and looked at some Kezar barn sale articles.



Tuesday, July 2, 1974 JEFF TO MICHIGAN

Cloudy day. Late in p.m. some sunshine. I did my refrigerator, cleaned up back porch and cleaned up the breezeway. Help Bill. He finished putting the stanchions on the new barn. Billie put the new calf in there tonight for the first time. Betty entertained the girls this a.m. and Rowena was up there and spent the day. She had a very good time, also Betty’s coffee group. Bill and I called at Bob’s tonight. Today or this a.m. about 8 AM Jeffrey left for Michigan.



No comments:

Post a Comment