The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 3, 2020

July 6 - 9, 1974


Saturday, July 6, 1974 Hot, Jeff 16 Years

A very nice pleasant day. I done regular Saturday work. Carmen up here today and tonight. It seemed very good after such a miserable day of yesterday. Billie went down to Walt’s all day doing the old tie up. They finished tearing it out and cleaned up the whole mess. It was very hot but a good breeze. Walt don’t feel very good. Bj Frisco is a very good horse, very loving. Late in p.m.or after supper Dorothea and David called. We all were so pleased to see them.



Sunday, July 7, 1974 Hot

A very nice hot summer day. There was a breeze. I washed, done regular work. Carmen went home. Billie got his first load of sawdust. He and Billie helped Betty down on her wall. Billie mowed. Bill helped with the rocks. Walt sick all day. Carmen and Zenya played together and Carmen over there for supper, down to Thena’s for a swim and also over to Zenya’s for the night. Bill and I called at the NCM hospital to see Stan. He didn’t seem to be as good.



Monday, July 8, 1974 HOT

Another awful hot day. I washed. Bill didn’t do much outside. I picked some things over. Carmen down swimming. I went to town. Got a card from Esther.



Tuesday, July 9, 1974 Peas

Another very hot day. I done some more washing. I picked some green peas. They were very good. Kim up here today. Carmen down swimming again. Zak came up tonight to stay all night. We have had showers, they are bad ones. Supposed to have more tonight. Brooke Hatch called to see Betty’s horse, BJ Frisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment