The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 1, 2020

October 9 - 12, 1974


Wednesday, October 9, 1974 PIG WENT

Another beautiful fall day. The colored leaves are so bright and pretty this year. I was down to Betty’s today. I helped her (didn’t do a thing) to get her shed chamber straightened out for winter, put away more summer clothes, got out more winter clothes. We went down to the cottage where Bill has been working. He got a letter today from his lawyer. Gordon wants to trade a lot on the Lake for Bill’s lot Jean left him. They got the foundation in for Ilan’s house today. Bill finished up at Mrs. Crawford’s. Carmen and Zenya riding tonight. I cooked turkey for supper, very good. A boy came to see BJ tonight.



Thursday, October 10, 1974 BJ GONE, Bill worked at Camp Encore

A partly cloudy day, but not too bad. I was home ALL DAY. Not down to Betty’s at all. Dawn up and spent the day with Betty. I done regular work, washed. Bill worked at Camp Encore today. Betty and Dawn called in PM. In evening I went down to Ferns. The barber is back at work. Esther and Betty were there too. Billie, Lloyd and Cliff got haircuts. Late this p.m. the boy Merle Cousins came and bought BJ. Poor Carmen. I felt so sorry for her. She went down to the woods with her grief, when she came back she felt better. She was such a very good horse. We all loved her.



Friday, October 11, 1974

Bill worked at camp. Hope BJ is contented and happy. Carmen still misses her. I went to town.



Saturday, October 12, 1974

A good day. Carmen came up. Was here most of the day. Then she went off and played with Cathy Smith and Zenya. They had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment