The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

January 12 - 15, 1975 Horse Chase







Sunday, January 12, 1975 very mild

It cleared off and it was a very nice day. I did my washing. Was busy every minute all day long. Billie busy. Also went up to Chet’s and helped them. Lil is much better. Snow settled a lot today.



Monday, January 13, 1975

Well, we got a good snow storm today. Snowed about six or 8 inches. It wasn’t too cold. I worked at my desk, did my ironing, washed a few things which I hung here in the house to dry.



Tuesday, January 14, 1975

A nice pretty day after the storm. It wasn’t too mild. I done regular work, went down to Betty’s. Zak came back with me. Betty entertained the coffee group this morning. The HORSES got out on Bill. He and Betty was over an hour getting them in. They went to the four corners, down almost to Lloyd’s, then back and headed down Pond Road then back up nearly to Maple Lane Road. Finally got them headed towards home. Then they took off and went down into the woods. I washed, ironed, cooked a delicious chicken dinner. Made a good layer cake.



Wednesday, January 15, 1975 it was zero here this morning

It was very cold this morning. The snow made it very pretty though. I done my regular work. Worked at my desk all forenoon. Bill up to camp for a little while. Billie’s dehumidifier did NOT come today either. In p.m. I went to town with Betty. Watched most of my programs in p.m. Ilan called. Kim at Brownies tonight. She is selling cookies for the Brownies.


No comments:

Post a Comment