The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 7, 2020

November 1 - 4, 1974


Friday, November 1, 1974 60 when we got up, HOT

It has been a very hot day. Got up as high as 75° today. I went down to Betty’s early, she tried out the new horse. They like it very much. Betty took me to town. I did some shopping. Also I did some washing. Then we went up to Camp Encore to take the truck up. Then we went down into the 9 acre field looking for the three colored cat.



Saturday, November 2, 1974 $83.80 mine, $180.90 Bill

A very nice clear day. On the cool side and windy. I was up early, got my work all done early. After the mailman came, Bill and I went to town. Esther went with us. Kim up here in p.m. Betty, Walt and Zak gone away. Billie up to Chet’s in p.m. Lloyd called in a.m.



Sunday, November 3, 1974 $40

A very nice and sunny day. On the cool side, not bad though. I done regular work and washed and ironed. Mr. Philip Saltman called and talked with Bill. He paid him for his work up there this past week. I figured up the bills and made out checks. Betty’s folks have company. Billie and Keith sawed wood at Chet’s. In late p.m. Betty went to Windham and the company (the Mrs.) and got pizza and Italian sandwiches. We had them for supper. Very good. Kids (Horton) didn’t go to Sunday school, they have colds.



Monday, November 4, 1974

A cloudy rainy day. I went down to Betty’s early then came home about nine with Zak. I did up my work. I did my ironing and other odds and end jobs. In p.m. Bill and I went up to Waterford, got some apples. I came home, made a pie. Betty got her hams and bacon back. We went down and helped her wrap it up. It is very nice looking meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment