The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

October 29 - 31, 1974 New Horse


Tuesday, October 29, 1974

A very nice mild day. I went to town early in a.m., got donuts for Betty to have for her guest. Then I went down and helped her some. Came home. I washed, done all my housework. I washed the garage windows and all of my windows on the outside. Bill painted Betty’s porch floor this p.m. He finished her leaves. Betty down to Dawn’s in p.m. Ilan’s house got some clapboards on today and the large window in.



Wednesday, October 30, 1974

Mild again. Up, got the work done up early and took off and went to Blackstrap Road in Falmouth to look at a horse for them to buy. It was a small horse. It may come this p.m. or tomorrow. Betty’s cat got up a tree and Central Maine guys got it down.



Thursday, October 31, 1974 KIM GOT A NEW HORSE, Bill worked at camp

Cloudy and some showers. We went to town today, got candy for Halloween. Today we cleaned Betty’s barn all over, it looks very good. Bill worked at camp today. Today late in the p.m. Kim had a nice little bay mare come today. Kids out trick-or-treating, I went with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment