The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 29, 2020

January 25 - 28, 1975


Saturday, January 25, 1975

It has snowed here today. We went to Kmart in Falmouth to shop for Carmen’s birthday. It rained in Portland or below Casco. Fern, Esther, Zenya went also Dorothea came up with David and she went with us. David worked at Rudy’s today. Dorothea took Bill’s car home. She is going to have it to use, we want her to keep it so she and Jeff can have it. Kim up here today.



Sunday, January 26, 1975 to the show in Portland, Challenge to Be Free

A mixed day of weather. Up, got my work done. Left about 11 AM to go to the show in Portland. It was very good. Betty, Kim, Carmen, Zenya, Zak and I. Stopped at McDonald’s and had dinner. Called at Dorothea’s on the way home. Billie up to Chet’s.



Monday, January 27, 1975 Lawyer Robinson called Bill today, 10 above when we got up.

It was partly cloudy. Cleared in p.m. and sunny. I did a big wash. Called at Betty’s. $80. I went to town. Clothes dried good. Got them in. Bill didn’t do much, but did clean the snow off Walt’s roof. Es and Cliff called in evening. Fern told Esther Lloyd has headaches.



Tuesday, January 28, 1975

A nice day, on the cool side. I done my work up, went down to Betty’s. In a.m. Walt gave me $80. I sure appreciate it but I wish he didn’t. I went to town in p.m. Betty to meeting. I had Zak. She and Walt sick with the flu also Carmen sick last night. I washed and ironed.

No comments:

Post a Comment