The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 25, 2020

January 8 - 11, 1975


Wednesday, January 8, 1975

A very nice sunny day. I did more washing and ironing. It was mild. Billie’s dehumidifier didn’t come today. Betty called. Kimmy to the Brownies.



Thursday, January 9, 1975

It has snowed quite a lot today. I did some ironing. I went down to Betty’s for a little while to stay with Zak while she went to town.




Friday, January 10, 1975

This is been a cloudy day but real mild. We got ready and went up to Joy’s with Betty to take the TVs up. Buddy is a licensed TV repair man now. We had a nice visit. Dorothea went with us. Joy was glad we came. Bill saw the house for the first time and liked it very much. I went to town after he got back. Got a view groceries. Carmen and Zak’s bus late tonight. Car trouble. They didn’t get home till late. Kim stayed down to Gwen’s and went skating with her. Bill and I picked her up at the skating rink. Today Billie got word his dehumidifier had got crashed on the express truck.



Saturday, January 11, 1975

A cloudy rainy day. I done up my regular work. I did some cooking, made bread, washed kitchen floor. Kimberly here all day. Betty and Zak called. Billie gone with Lawrence down country. Berwick and other southern towns. Bill didn’t do much today. Kim had a good time with her sewing machine. It has been very mild, foggy and cloudy all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment