The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 18, 2020

December 14 - 17, 1974 Decorating the Trees


Saturday, December 14, 1974

Not a very good day. I was busy all day. Dorothea and David came up and called for just a little while. I cooked, washed floor. Went over to see Ilan’s new house. It is very pretty. Billie went with Lawrence today.



Sunday, December 15, 1974

A beautiful day. I done up my work. Washed. I did my Christmas cards in PM. Also Esther was here. Carmen called a little while. Walt, Betty and kids down to Dawn’s. Carlton called at Betty’s in p.m. and again this evening. Bill up to Chet’s. Called at Lloyd’s.



Monday, December 16, 1974

Today was cloudy. Up early, done up my work. Got ready. Betty and I left early to go to Portland to shop. We called at Dorothea’s, out to the mall, at Sears, Bradlee’s and got home at about 4 PM. It was a stormy day, no bad storm. Zak stayed up here tonight. Will stay all night. Tonight Betty and kids here and we got the tree in then decorated it. Very pretty.




Tuesday, December 17, 1974 no school, HAD SNOW

It was a very nice day. I done up my work. Betty, Zak and I went to Norway in p.m. In a.m. Betty went to her meeting. It was sleeting early this morning and there was no school. I had a chicken dinner tonight, very good. We got word tonight George (?)Derr, the barber where Billie and Lloyd have been getting their hair cut, died instantly outside shoveling. After supper Billie and I went down to see the Horton Christmas tree. Very pretty. Dorothea phoned today. Zak here all day. Betty is all done shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment