The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

December 18 - 21, 1974


Wednesday, December 18, 1974

I’ve been home all day. I done up my regular work. Washed, wrapped some gifts. I did an ironing, washed kitchen curtains and windows. Washed kitchen floor. Been busy all day.



Thursday, December 19, 1974

A partly cloudy day. Not very cold. I done up my work. Washed rest of my windows. Did some ironing, didn’t get up too early. Billie didn’t have to go to work. They ran out of working material yesterday. Dawn down to Betty’s today. They are making (LOZONYA) for a Sunday night supper.



Friday, December 20, 1974 DAVID GOT HIS NEW 1975 CHEVY PICKUP TRUCK


I was down to Betty’s early. She and I got most all her house cleaned up. We finished right after dinner. Then we went to Shaw’s and Ames’s at North Conway New Hampshire. Got groceries and Betty picked up a few things. It was late when we started home. When we drove by Brady’s Dorothea and Dave were there and we stopped a minute. Didn’t expect they would call but they did after I got home. We had them stay for supper. They did. Dorothea was disappointed about getting the truck. It wasn’t very good for her back and it is going to be hard for her to make payments etc. She thinks. Well we will see. I hope she can get things straightened out okay. Kim up here tonight.



Saturday, December 21, 1974

A cloudy day. Dorothea and Dave came about 9 o’clock. Dave took his truck down to Rudy’s and got his mud flaps put on. Dorothea was here all day. She and I called at Betty’s in p.m. Kim up here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment