The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 4, 2020

October 21 - 24, 1974


Monday, October 21, 1974 very cold, sunny, Ilan house, Fern 73

A very nice day. Today they began the construction work on Ilan’s house. I went down to Betty’s early. She was going to Portland but didn’t. I came home and Zak came with me. I did a big wash. In p.m. I helped Betty do her china cabinet. Betty to town shopping. Billie took Chet to town after work. He is worried about Lil. She is bad mentally, maybe a slight stroke. Bill worked up to Camp Encore. Betty and I down to Fern’s in evening and took some chicken ? down.



Tuesday, October 22, 1974 Sunny and mild

Another nice sunny day, but very warm. It was good after the very cold weather. I went down to Betty’s early, came home and Betty went to her meeting. Zak came with me. I did another big wash. Also I ironed. In p.m. I made a tapioca pudding and some molasses cookies. Betty hauled a load of dry sawdust for Dawn. Also helped her in p.m. Billie went down after work and got Lloyd’s mower etc. put away. Bill worked at Camp Encore.



Wednesday, October 23, 1974

A beautiful day, very mild and warm. I done my work up early and went down to Betty’s. We cleaned her house, windows and all for the winter. It looks nice.



Thursday, October 24, 1974 Sunny

Colder than the past two days but not too bad. Clear and sunny. I did a wash. I didn’t have to go down to Betty’s for anything. Her house looks nice if she can keep it this way. Betty and I went up to Lil’s and did some storm windows for her. Bill took me to town. I had a roast of beef. Carmen up for supper. In evening I went down to Fern’s while Billie and Lloyd got haircuts. Esther was there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment