The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 24, 2020

January 4 - 7, 1975


Saturday, January 4, 1975

A beautiful day, on the mild side. I did a big wash. Cleaned up the house, washed windows, floor, cooked. Bill went to Dorothea’s and got Kimmy. She was up here in p.m. playing with her sewing machine. She had such a good time. She had stayed at Dorothea’s for two nights. Walt and Billie hauled a lot of hay from Lawrence’s. Bill didn’t do anything as usual for once. He keeps busy most all the time.



Sunday, January 5, 1975

A very nice day. It was sunny and not too cold. I done regular work. I changed beds, put out a line full of sheets and other things. I ironed. Bill watched TV. Billie worked all day down to Lloyd’s and up to Chet’s. Walt called. He started in to clear up down in the woods. I cleaned out my desk draws. Billie hauled sawdust.



Monday, January 6, 1975 zero this morning

Up very early. Billie goes back to work on the early time again this morning. To work at seven instead of eight. I was down to Betty’s all day. She got her house straightened out. Tonight Zak came up here and will stay all night. School began all over again today. We tried out a different TV today. It is a large screen and comes in good.



Tuesday, January 7, 1975

Cloudy most all day. It was snowing when we got up, not much of any accumulation. Zak didn’t get up very early. I done up my work after he went to school. I also did my hand washing. Bill didn’t do anything all day. Read the papers and watched TV. They got a call from Dr. Richards about something which is shown up on Carmen’s x-rays she had taken about a month ago. The Dr. is quite concerned. They are going to send them in to Portland and have them check. Hope what showed up isn’t anything serious. Betty to her meeting tonight. I ironed.

No comments:

Post a Comment