The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

November 24 - 27, 1974


Sunday, November 24, 1974

A dreary cloudy showery day. I done my regular work. Changed the beds, made a pie. I worked on Christmas orders etc. Billie up to help Chet. Lil still in bed. She is very poorly. Bill went with Walt. We had a oyster stew for supper. Billie went with Lawrence in p.m.



Monday, November 25, 1974

Nice day. Betty and I went to Portland. Esther took care of Zak. Betty did a lot of Christmas shopping. I got a few groceries. We called at Dorothea’s.



Tuesday, November 26, 1974 Cold and Windy

A very cold and terribly windy day. I done up my work. I washed. Zak here in a.m. In p.m. Betty and I went to Ames and Shaw’s in North Conway to shop. Betty done some grocery shopping. Betty and kids up here for supper. Had a delicious boiled dinner. Bill painted Betty’s kitchen floor.



Wednesday, November 27, 1974

A beautiful day. Bill worked up to Camp Encore. I did my cooking, washed windows, floors, cleaned up the house, ironed and washed. Called down to Betty’s a little while. Betty Smith called tonight. Kids home from school till Monday. Also Billie and Walt home from work till Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment