The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

September 1 - 4, 1964



Tuesday, September 1, 1964

A very nice day, done up regular work. Made a apple pie, cooked a chicken supper. Had Mike and Betty down. Betty, Carmen and I to town and called the Ferns. Carmen to the doctors, said she is all right. I don’t believe it. Called to see the trees gone at Ferns, looks odd. Bill and I down to Fern and Kennard’s in evening. Looks much lighter at Fern house with trees gone. Bill and Betty took the 1958 Chevy over to Harrison to be sold. Bet and Mike not out tonight.



Wednesday, September 2, 1964

A very nice day. I rushed around, done my housework. Picked peas etc. Had Jean up for supper. She enjoyed everything very much. Bill and I took her home. Betty and Mike out tonight. Mama been gone five months today. I still miss her all the time. It don’t seem she is gone.



Thursday, September 3, 1964

A beautiful day. I washed. A big one. Got my clothes iron. Betty and Mike off most all day. Came home and cleaned up the car.



Friday, September 4, 1964

A nice day, it rained. I cleaned up my house, done some figuring. To town after supper, Bill and I. Betty and Mike at home tonight. Betty and I called at Chet and Lil’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment