The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

June 13 - 16, 1964



Saturday, June 13, 1964

A dry rainless day, we need rain so bad for the gardens. I got the work done up. We got Carmen to bed and then Betty and I went to town, called on Mr. Vose.


Sunday, June 14, 1964

Another one of those dry windy days. No rain in sight. I done up the regular work. I made two pies and ironed. Aunt Ava called, Kennie, Dot, Bob, Blanche, Hyla, Dennis and his friend Olive up. Fern and Lloyd. Betty, Carmen, Bonnie and I to Fryeburg and got Kristi’s papers. Bill and I went for a ride. Didn’t get this chance much.





Monday, June 15, 1964 RAIN

A very nice warm day. Did the wash, it dried very good. We finally got a small amount of rain in late p.m. and evening. Washed, ironed, churned and washed the kitchen floor. Betty cleaned up the house, got supper. Got the clothes in, did her ironing.



Tuesday, June 16, 1964

A very very windy day, on the cold side. I cleaned at Mary  Chamberlain’s cottage day. All the deal is off and over from the Vose house. We will see what comes now. Tonight Betty, Holly and I went over to help Uncle Lewis’s and Aunt Ava find their dog. She is sick. They are a pitiful couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment