The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

June 25 - 28, 1964



Thursday, June 25, 1964

Another very nice day, no rain. I cleaned up the house, made donuts and a pie. Nona and Jeff came down. Betty to town tonight. Kennard came down for water in evening. Betty cleaned up the chambers. Blanche, Carmen and I went to the Cemetery.



Friday, June 26, 1964 Rain Tonight

A beautiful day. Betty and I picked berries and greens. We relaxed in p.m. Randy came and took Betty and Carmen for a ride in his new car. To town in evening. We had showers tonight. Betty to town.



Saturday, June 27, 1964

A lot of rain showers last night. Done up the work, went to town in p.m, Betty, Carmen and I. Betty and I took a walk down in the cut down lot where the timber was cut this spring. Bill and I called at Jean’s in evening. Bill had some papers filled out for the trip. Betty to drive-in and home early. Billie’s vacation began today. He worked for Lawrence haying. Had a good shower last night.



Sunday, June 28, 1964 MOWED HAY

A beautiful clear sunny day. Blanche here early in a.m. She, Carmen and I down to the Cemetery. Betty, Carmen and I to town. Betty done up the work. We sat outside. Went to town and for a little ride in p.m. Kennie, Dot here, Fern and Lloyd. Billie began mowing in late a.m. Kennard and Jeff called.

No comments:

Post a Comment