The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

August 28 - 31,1964 Carmen Breaks Her Collarbone



Friday, August 28, 1964

A beautiful day, very pretty, on the warm side. Had all the windows open. I done up my work, picked peas, shelled them. Got pictures of Lloyd’s back. Betty, Carmen and I took a ride down to Ferns, up over the new road. Bill and I to town in evening.



Saturday, August 29, 1964 Carmen broke her Collar Bone

She fell out of her crib,  she hurt her terribly. They took her to the doctors, he strapped her up for four weeks. Chet Edson had a serious accident today on a tractor. Fern here for supper. Betty and Mike to the races tonight.





Sunday, August 30, 1964

A beautiful day, on the hot side. I can some shell beans. Busy all day. Carmen not too peppy today. Fern, Lloyd, Kennie, Dot and Aunt Ava called. Betty away all day. Billie back from the fair about 11:30.



Monday, August 31, 1964

Rain. Heavy rain showers. I washed, hung clothes on the porch. Carmen’s arm not so good. Betty took her to the doctors but didn’t see him. Hope something is done soon. Betty, Carmen and I to Norway in PM. Got some PJs for Carmen also she got her some shirts. Billie up to Chet’s in evening. Sally and Gordon’s called in evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment