The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 18, 2017

July 15 - 18, 1964



Wednesday, July 15, 1964 2 Days

We are getting anxious as Mike’s day draws near. We got our house cleaned up today and ready for Mike. I washed in PM. It cleared today. Very nice and warm. Bill saw Gordon, he came up tonight.



Thursday, July 16, 1964 1 Day

Today came and no Mike or no phone call. We will hear tomorrow probably. Picked string beans and strawberries and raspberries. Worked all day. Es, Fern, Lloyd and Billie called in p.m. and evening. Es ironed curtains. Betty did regular ironing.



Friday, July 17, 1964 MIKE CALLED

Hot. Another nice hot day. Very hot. Done up my work, washed kitchen floor. Still waiting for Mike’s phone call. About 11:15 he called from Oakland. What news. He has arthritis. He can’t leave there until after Monday anyway. Betty and he enjoy talking with each other. Fern, Lloyd, Es and Billie called. Carmen had pictures taken.



Saturday, July 18, 1964

Very hot. Now we are still waiting for Mike to come. I done up my work in p.m. Fern, Lloyd, Billie, Bill, Betty, Susan, Carmen and I all went over to Norway to see the mobile home Lloyd and Fern want. I sure hope they can get it. Came home, had supper. Beans and the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment