The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August 4 - 7, 1964



Tuesday, August 4, 1964

A beautiful day. Es and I took off bright and early this morning for Portland to complete my shopping for Scotland. Had a nice day and a good time. Norma and Susan off with two guys we didn’t know. Milan and Betty came up tonight. Fern here and Aunt Ava, Stanley Harmon called to see Susan in evening.



Wednesday, August 5, 1964

Cloudy dreary day. I done up the regular work. Made a pie, defrosted refrigerator. Betty and Mike to a going away party for David Nevers last night. Also went to one tonight. Es and Billie here all day. Milan’s family called. Milan, Betty leaving tonight for Connecticut. Milan off the hook. Accident on the back road tonight. Billie D, Bill and I called at Bob’s. Stanley Harmon called on Sue tonight.



Thursday, August 6, 1964

Cloudy in early morning. It cleared. I washed. Fern and Es up in evening. We had a steak cookout for David Thomas. He is going in the service next Wednesday. It was so cold outside. Mike doing real well at Rudy’s and is very well-liked. He earns good money.



Friday, August 7, 1964

A nice day. I gave my house a cleaning up. Betty and I to town in p.m. doing business. Came home, got a good supper. Es and Fern came up and got me, we went to town and done my shopping. I done my ironing in a.m. Es took Aunt Ava to Portland in a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment