The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 19, 2024

May 29 - 31, 1989 Memorial Day. First Cookout

 

Monday, May 29, 1989 Planted garden, FIRST COOKOUT

 

It cleared and was nice and sunny when we got up. It became windy and cold. It was awful. I made a chocolate cake for the lunch at Twin Oaks. Then got ready. Betty, Carmen, Brogan, Betty Smith and I all went to the cemeteries with plants etc. They all looked nice with the plants and flowers. Came home, I done a dite of reading. About 12 AM Carmen came, got the things then Kim took Kassie, her puppy and me up. The big event of this day was meeting Kurt. He was very impressive. Nice-looking, polite and nice. He would make a good catch for Kim. Billie planted the garden.

 



 

 

 

 







 

 

Tuesday, May 30, 1989

 

Not a very nice day. Cloudy, dark and dreary. I done up the work, did the washing. I made out some bills. Brogan and Carmen call. She left Brogan while she did some errands in town. I cooked a very good roast beef and gravy for supper. Squash and lima beans.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 31, 1989 sent Es letter

 

Another miserable day, cloudy dreary rain showers. I did regular work. I wrote to Esther. I did rest of the bills. Carmen and Brogan came. Brogan here while Carmen went to town. They worked up to the new office getting it ready for Meldrum Green. Billie brushed Kassie out, she is beginning to shed. He went and took the Rototiller back to Oxford to be fixed again. Just had it over there and worked on it.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment