The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 18, 2024

May 25 - 28, 1989

 

Thursday, May 25, 1989 Kassie got her shots

 

Kind of cloudy in a.m. but it cleared off and was very sunny and mild in PM. I did a wash. Betty came up and got Kassie and me. We went down and the vets at Betty’s gave Kassie her shots. Kim came up, she got the lunches. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen did the cleaning. It looks nice after she got through. After supper Betty, Brogan and Carmen called. I rode up to the New House. It looks nice where they got the painting done.

 

 

 

Friday, May 26, 1989

 

I did my ironing, watched shows. I didn’t do much. Carmen came and cleaned. Billie went over and got the Rototiller back home. He was gone all forenoon until middle of PM.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 27, 1989

 

Well this is been a day of many kinds of weather. It was sunny. Clouded up and in PM very heavy rain showers. Late in PM it cleared away and sun came out. Too late and too wet. I made brownies, baked some good baked beans (white). David here for coffee. I done all my regular work and Saturday work. Billie couldn’t mow. Foggy until late in a.m.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 28, 1989 COLD, to the cemeteries

 

A cold windy day, much cloudy. I got up early, got to doing the work. Walt up for coffee. Later Zack came for breakfast, also Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen brought up her things she got yesterday to show me. I got lunch. I sat on the back porch looking over some things. Betty and Carmen came and Brogan. We went down to the Cemetery and up to South Waterford to Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis. Betty Smith went with us. This Cemetery, Homeland Cemetery, looks very nice. Jason came and he and Billie got all the lawns done.

No comments:

Post a Comment