The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 5, 2024

April 6 - 9, 1989

Thursday, April 6, 1989

 

What a miserable day, rained hard nearly all day. I didn’t do much all day. I made a banana pudding. Had leftovers for supper. Carmen dropped in for a while, also Betty. They done a lot more packing and moving of Carmen’s things. Kim down to Betty’s painting. Billie didn’t do much either because of the awful weather. Zack better and back to work today. Kim’s vacation is getting closer.

 

 

 

Friday, April 7, 1989 cold

 

At least we have sunshine today. I did the wash. I done odds and end jobs. Billie cleaned up outside, it looks very nice. Brogan up today. Betty, Walt, Carmen and Kim moved. Zak has his truck back.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 8, 1989

 

When we got up it was snowing then we got rain and then cloudy. Late in the PM it began to clear off. In late PM and early evening it was sunny and clear. I done up regular work. I washed floors. David came for coffee. I read the B news and paper. Carmen and Brogan up this PM and for supper. Carmen, Zak and Kim hauled some more things up to the house. Betty and Walt away this PM and to supper. Zak called. Billie had the steers out today.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 9, 1989

 

It was a very nice day, the snow has all gone again. Carmen up in PM and Brogan. Dorothea came this PM. She worked for Billie helping him with his paperwork. It took all PM. Carmen got supper and was here, she and Brogan. Zack called today. Betty had a hard day. Walt and Carmen did some lawn raking. I finished reading the diaries 1944 to 1948.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment