The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 6, 2024

April 10 - 13, 1989

 

 

Monday, April 10, 1989

 

A nice sunny day, except there was snow all over when we got up. It snowed during the night but it was clear when we got up. I did a wash. Carmen came and cleaned. Went to town, done the shopping. Then she took Billie to the Dr. in Portland for his eye checkup. She said tomorrow she will work for Meldrum Green. She will be able to work up there more steady now because she has got moved. Kimmy down painting for Betty. I began reading more diaries.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 11, 1989

 

This is been a nice day except on the cool side. I been busy. I did the ironing, made rolls and a chocolate pie. I baked a nice slice of ham with milk, had lima beans, mashed potato and I made a chocolate whipped cream pie. I had Kim up for her birthday supper. Also Carmen and Brogan. Kim got a nice bracelet and ear rings and $20 from Dorothea and David. 20 from Billie. A dress to me, a card from Carmen and Brogan. She took her out for supper. Billie been raking all day, cleaning driveway. Carmen worked for Walt. Kim worked at Betty’s painting.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 12, 1989 23 YRS. KIM’S DAY

 

Today Kim can drive again anywhere. I hope she will be on the watch from now on. Today she was 23 years old. She got a lot of gifts and a good sum of money. I done up the wash, went down to Naples with Betty and the kids. They went down to see about the cupboards. Also over to North Bridgton. We had a nice day, but on the cool side. Kim worked at Betty’s doing more painting. Carmen worked for the Meldrum Green Company. Betty and Dorothea are working at Betty Smith’s papering tonight. Zack dropped in for a minute tonight. Billie still cleaning yard.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 13, 1989

 

A quite nice day. It was cloudy and some sun. Billie worked outside cleaning yard and driveway. I done regular work. Watched shows in PM. Kim worked at Betty’s. Betty and Dorothea worked at Betty Smith’s today I went down after supper and finished the papering. It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment