The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 26, 2024

June 23 - 26, 1989

 

Friday, June 23, 1989 HOT

 

Well this has been a scorcher, so hot. I done up regular work. Made brownies. Kim came up, made Billie‘s lunch. Carmen here also. Walt got word the man is coming to sign papers tomorrow for the lot in Harrison. Walt feels much better now. He has been quite upset and on the ugh side. Carmen took Brogan over to stay with her father tonight. Daddies as she calls him.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 24, 1989

 

A most beautiful day. Sunny, not as hot as yesterday. I done my Saturday work. David came for coffee and visited. Zak came over a minute. I got the papers all read, done some more diary reading. Carmen out early 5:30 AM chasing the dog. She had been into the chickens. Walt went and got Zak. They pumped the tire up on the loader, which was over to his place in Harrison and Zack drove it home. Kim and Carmen dropped in. They signed the papers today on the lot. Betty took me for a long ride. Walt took them all out for supper. Kim has weekend off.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 25, 1989 Hot

 

I got up, done up my regular work. Got breakfast. Walt up for coffee. I made a chiffon cake to take up to camp. We honored Betty this day. She will be leaving for California Wednesday of this week to go to Norma’s in California for a two months visit with Norma and children. Had a nice lunch at camp as usual. Brogan had a good time playing with the Martin children.

 

 

 

Monday, June 26, 1989 VERY HOT

 

It has been a very hot day. I did my washing. I started to get my dresses shortened. In PM Betty came and got me and took me up to Kim’s to see Brogan’s swingset. It is a beautiful one. Royal blue and silver. I saw her swinging on it, also on the climbing bars. Billie and Zack went over to Norway to get the Rototiller back. We watched TV soaps in PM. In evening went up to Dorothea’s to see them swimming in the pool. I visited with Fern. This is been the kind of day we have been looking for for months. It has been such a cold rainy weather. I’m so glad Dorothea has that pool. I hope it helps her skin problem.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment