The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 11, 2024

April 30 - May 3, 1989

 

Sunday, April 30, 1989

 

A cloudy dreary day. I didn’t do much except regular work. Walt and Zack here for coffee this morning. Billie and Carmen hauled rest of the manure. David came down, had coffee and visited in PM. I worked at the desk making out the bills etc. Betty is pleased with the work she has got done. They got the chicken coop ready and set up. Zack has some one living with him to help out on his living expenses.

 

 

 

Monday, May 1, 1989

 

It rained a very heavy downpour all day. We needed it very much. I did the washing, got other jobs done. Carmen on a date tonight with a new guy. Kim finished the kitchen floor at Betty’s, two coats. It looks so nice. Billie worked on fence etc.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 2, 1989

 

This morning I made some filled cookies. They were fair. Carmen here for supper and Brogan. Kim called in today for a little while and had a bite to eat. At noon. Betty Smith had water into her cellar. Betty H went down and helped her and Zak and Billie. When they got the end of the drain opened the water when out. Kim did the cupboard on the breezeway. Looks very nice.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 3, 1989 $425

 

A quite nice day. I did a wash, bedding etc. Carmen came and cleaned. I went down to see the chickens. Chicks came today. I sent a card and letter to Esther and Cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment