The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 27, 2024

June 27 - 30, 1989

Tuesday, June 27, 1989 hot hot

 

Another very hot day. I didn’t do much. I prepared a salad for supper. Betty called, we went up to Kim’s to see Brogan in the new swing. She likes it so much. Also she had me go to see her new play house. A small log cabin. Then she wanted me to see her in her new pool. She is a lucky girl. She and her mother are very close. In the evening I finished those two dresses. Zak here today and for lunch and supper. He help Billie do the mowing machine. Also worked on the loader up to the shelter. Jason worked around. Billie and I down to bid Betty good bye this morning.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 28, 1989

 

A nice day. I done up work. We went up to New Hampshire. I got some new nightgowns. Carmen also got a new sports suit to wear on her trip this weekend. Also Betty and Dorothea got some new things and Brogan got a few things she picked out. It is the first time we had been together to shop for a long time. Betty gone to California for the summer. Betty H took her also Carmen and Brogan.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 29, 1989

 

A beautiful day. It was cooler the day before. I done regular work. I cooked a roast pork supper. Walt and Zack here. Carmen and Betty to the Lake. I washed.

 

 

 

Friday, June 30, 1989

 

A nice sunny day, not too hot. I didn’t do much today. They worked on the house today. Billie been busy, he worked in the garden. Dorothea came, she called about Billie’s money at the VA office. They said they are working on it and he should be getting it in about a week.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment