The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 28, 2024

July 1 - 3, 1989

 

Saturday, July 1, 1989 DAVID’S HAY ALL DONE

 

A partly cloudy day, but it cleared enough so David’s hay dried and they got it all in. I’m so glad. Billie drove truck, Zak and David loaded. Zak and Kim here for supper. I made rolls. I didn’t do much, I got the papers all read. Brogan was up while Betty and Walt were over to Harrison. Then they went to Portland and she went with them. David down for coffee. Carmen gone away for the weekend. Up to China Maine with college classmates. She looked very nice. Billie got some hay from David. 50 bales. Very good hay.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 2, 1989

 

Well it was cloudy when we got up this morning but it cleared away and the sun came out. Zack came over, had breakfast. Walt up for coffee. They expected to mowed Walt’s hay but the forecast wasn’t good. Carmen returned home quite late tonight from her 2 day vacation. She went up to China with some of her college classmates. They went out boating on Kennebec River. She had such a good time. A big sunburn and very tired. Kim worked. Zack came up for the day, he was up to camp with Betty, also Walt and Brogan. Billie been busy all day. I worked at the desk.

 

Monday, July 3, 1989 $1423.00 Billies big check came

 

Kind of cloudy and some clear sky. I did regular work. Washed. I got my check ready for the bank. Also Billie got his checks ready to be cashed. Carmen took them down for us. Also got Billie’s medicine at the drugstore. I cooked a smoked shoulder. Carmen got some spinach greens and strawberries and cream. We had a good supper and Carmen and Brogan were here. Brogan ate like a little pig. A good eater. Billie, Carmen and Jason got the hay conveyor up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment