The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 21, 2024

June 4 - 7, 1989

 

Sunday, June 4, 1989 Carmen home

 

Cloudy and showers, heavy rain early this morning. Such miserable weather. Walt up for coffee. I talked with Carmen and she is better. Still don’t know what her problem is. Later Carmen called, she is coming home. Betty, Brogan and I went over to get her early PM. She still don’t know what the problem was. We are very worried she will have another attack. I hope not. Walt planted rest of his garden with Brogan’s help. Zak came for breakfast.

 

 

 

Monday, June 5, 1989

 

Well a very nice sunny day. Carmen is glad to be home, yet she still not real good. I don’t know how long it will be before people find out what her trouble is. I did a wash. Made a chocolate banana pudding. Watched the soaps. Billie been busy doing the lawns etc. etc. Betty, Carmen over to Sally Douglass’s. Carmen got a bedroom set for Brogan’s new room. In evening Betty Smith went walking with Betty H and Dorothea. Zak and Carmen got the new Brogan’s furniture. Kim came, I went down to Betty’s with her. Betty, Carmen did a dite of shopping for me.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 6, 1989 hair set, cut etc.

 

Miserable weather again. We have had so much lately. It makes a person crazy. I done up the regular work, shampooed my hair, took a bath. I watched first two TV shows. Carmen took me down to Barbara’s. She got my supper started. The weather is awful awful. No change until Sunday. It is interesting for me reading my old diaries. I seem to have had the same daily run of life, some was up and some down. I enjoy reading them. John McEnerney at Betty’s for supper. Kimmy was glad to see him. Zak down there also.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 7, 1989

 

A quite miserable day. It kind of broke away a tiny dite of sun. And no rain, just cloudy than clouds. Carmen don’t feel too good. Brogan up here with Betty in a.m. Betty and Carmen up to Dorothea’s. I did a washing and ironing. Carmen did the shopping. Betty S, Betty H out for a walk tonight. Dorothea and Barbara laid Dorothea’s new rug. Billie didn’t get outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment