The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

May 21 - 24, 1989

 

Sunday, May 21, 1989

 

It was clear and sunny when we got up but it clouded up. Walt up for coffee this morning. Billie cultivated or harrowing the garden. I went up to the new house with Betty, Carmen and Brogan. They hauled waste wood or material up to the camp. Jason came and did the lawn trimming.

 

 

 

Monday, May 22, 1989 Took Rototiller over

 

It has been a cloudy day, on the cool side. I done up regular work. Washed. About 10:30 Carmen called and wanted to know if I would go down to stay with Brogan while Betty was mowing lawns. She and Kim went to Portland to buy bathroom fixtures etc. for their homes. Jason came and done Betty’s trimming. Billie took the Rototiller over to Oxford for repairs.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 23, 1989

 

It cleared away the rolling clouds and became hot. I done up work, ironed. Betty and Carmen and Brogan went up to North Conway to M. V. Shopping Mall and Paris Farmers Union. Betty and Carmen got plant seeds etc. for the gardens. I came home, got supper. While we was up to New Hampshire Kim cleaned the ceilings in kitchen and bathrooms. Also the walls in blue bathroom. It looks so nice after she gets done. Walt has had calls on the land he has for sale over on Crooked River.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 24, 1989 first mess of dandelion greens

 

Well, kind of a mixed weather. It came off sunny and hot. I made a rhubarb and lemon meringue pie also tarts and a cinnamon roll. I was busy doing odds and end jobs. Dorothea, Betty, Carmen, Brogan and I went to get flowers the cemeteries. In PM I babysat for Brogan. Betty went to the Dr. for her back and neck. Walt got calls on the land today. We had our first mess of greens for supper. Billie picked them down by the shed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment