The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 29, 2024

July 4 - 7, 1989

 

 

Tuesday, July 4, 1989

It has been a kind of cloudy hazy day, not any sunshine to speak of. I got up, got the breakfast. I made some cupcakes, frosted the chocolate cake and cupcakes. I got ready and Carmen came and Brogan. We went down town to the parade. Then came home, got right ready to go up to camp for a Fourth of July cookout. Debbie, Joy and children, Dorothea and Fern and me besides the regular Horton family,  oh yes a friend of Zak’s,  Chan, a Cambodian from Portland.

 







 

 

Wednesday, July 5, 1989

 

I worked at desk. A miserable day, cloudy showers Carmen and Brogan came. I done a few other odd and end jobs. Kim came up for a little while. Carmen and Brogan, they went to town to do my shopping.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 6, 1989

 

I did my ironing, cleaned the burners on stove after I got regular work done. I watched my morning shows. Then Billie and I went over to Oxford, got beet greens, peas, peaches and strawberries. I called at Betty’s this PM for a little while. Brogan sick to her stomach. I’m so pleased they are doing things to help Zak. I hope his life will get  straightened out.

 

 

 

Friday, July 7, 1989

 

A partly nice day. I did a small wash. Carmen came and cleaned. I did some puttering jobs. It hasn’t been a good hay day. Later in PM we had scattering showers. Brogan up here for supper and evening. She had a good time. Billie mowed all the lawns. Jason did the trimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment