The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 8, 2024

April 18 - 21, 1989

 

Tuesday, April 18, 1989

 

A partly cloudy day. Carmen and Brogan went to North Windham shopping. She got things for me. Brogan went with her. It cleared out nice and sunny. Kim worked at Betty’s painting. Billie done some odd and end jobs for spring. I done regular work.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 19, 1989

 

It was raining when we got up, but it cleared and became a nice sunny day, spring temperatures. I done regular work, got things started for supper. Carmen called in, she got Billie’s lunch and made the two salads. Billie cleaned up the yard messes, other odds and end jobs. I made a cheesecake and two apple pies. Carmen finished her raking down to Betty’s and also up to the new house. In late evening I went up to the new house to see where Carmen had raked. It looked very nice. Kim worked for Betty painting. We had a cookout, steak supper, Zak was here. Grilled steaks, shell beans, baked potatoes, salad, bread, cheese cake, apple pie, was glad to have Zack. The Naval ship US Iowa had a bad accident today.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 20, 1989 Jason Here

 

It was a nice sunny day most of the day. It clouded up, some scattering and we had a rain shower with snow flurries. All in all it was a good day except that mess of a few minutes. It was very cold and windy too. I went down to Betty’s. I helped her clean the cupboards in the dining room. Kim painted the porch ceiling. Carmen went up and burned brush and mess up to the new house. Billie had Jason come today and they got a lot done. Raked and cleaned all along the roadside. Also got bedding for the barn. I did a wash today. Betty Smith to Dr. Miller’s and had eye treatment.

 

 

 

Friday, April 21, 1989

 

It dawned nice and sunny. I done regular work and the ironing. I went down to Betty’s until about 2:30. I cleaned her silverware. She finished her dining room. New rug and all lovely painted and Kim put up the border. It looks beautiful. I came home and got my supper to going. Watched rest of the programs. Kim and Carmen went to Norway shopping.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment