The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 3, 2023

September 20 - 23, 1987

 


 

Sunday, September 20, 1987

 

This is been such a rainy day. We need it though. It rained most of last night too. I wrote to Esther, George and Betty. Billie and I over to Carmen’s to see how nice it looks. It sure does. She is very proud of it. Billie worked on his papers today. Zack home alone. He didn’t feel very good. Kim worked today. Betty and Walt in Rhode Island.

 

 

 

Monday, September 21, 1987

 

It was cloudy most all day then it cleared late in the day. Carmen came and cleaned and to town. Bill and Betty over to Carmen’s. They got the oil tank set up. And oil in it. They had heat tonight for the first time. Carmen had to work at hospital. Kim took Billie to Portland for his eye examination. It was okay. The Dr. told him, Dr. Reid. I did a big wash.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 22, 1987 Kathy Wolff left for London

 

Mostly cloudy. I done the ironing. Watched the a.m. show then I got my corned beef cooking and prepared vegetables. I watched afternoon TV shows. Bill over to Carmen’s all forenoon and all p.m. They came and worked on her furnace. They got heat okay. Billie worked all day until showtime outside. Carmen worked at Dorothea’s today. Then at the hospital. Betty had Brogan most of the day. Joy and Dorothea took Kathy to Logan to take a plane to New York then to London for about three months to study over there. Joy and Dorothea got home about 7:30 PM.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 23, 1987

 

A quite nice day. Mostly sunny. I did another batch of tomatoes. Betty Smith called. Betty H, also Brogan. I watched TV soaps. Carmen over to Betty’s, also Kim. Billie busy doing outside work. Bill read, didn’t feel too good.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment