The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

October 28 - 31, 1987

Wednesday, October 28, 1987

 

Cloudy and rainy. Carmen, Kim, Betty and Brogan came this morning. Betty came real early. They got rest of the cleaning done. Back porch, breezeway, small bathroom. Betty hung the new clothes bag in the closet. We fixed the chest on the back porch. After it was all done it looked very nice. I am lucky to have all of these children and grandchildren do a lot for me. Brogan was so cute. Betty brought the snaps we took on the Vermont trip. Very good.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 29, 1987

 

A very nice sunny day. I cleaned the electric stove inside and out. I done up the housework. Betty came, she, the girls and Brogan all went to North Windham. Did a dite of shopping. Then they went up to the photographers in Raymond and got those pictures. They were very good. Came home, watched soaps, got supper.

 

 

 

Friday, October 30, 1987 MILAN TO HOSPITAL HEART

 

A nice day. Sunny. I did some odd jobs. I cleaned in back of refrigerator. I fixed the closet, put some things away. I made two mince pies. Brogan was here this PM for a couple hours. Betty, Carmen, Kim all went to New Hampshire shopping, getting stocked up in case of problems with the business world. Tonight at about 4:30 Billie took Milan to NCM hospital. He has heart problems. Watched soaps.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 31, 1987

 

A very nice day. I done up my work, baked California pea beans. I went to North Conway with Betty in PM. In evening we had Halloween callers. One was redheaded. Brogan. She looks so cute. We had 10 kids. Carmen and Kim gone to a dance tonight. Milan was moved into a regular room today. He is improved some.

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment