The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 18, 2023

November 13 - 16, 1987

 

Friday, November 13, 1987

 

Cloudy and not quite so cold. Bill sick with cold. I did a washing. Made some applesauce and did some odd jobs. I sent some orders out to Spencer’s.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 14, 1987

 

A quite nice day. Carmen and Kim went to Lewiston shopping. Zack stayed with Brogan. I baked beans and done up the work, washed floors etc. David came down. Billie got his fall work caught up, all done. Now all he has to do is regular work. I got my papers all read. Zack to town and got some milk for me.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 15, 1987

 

A very nice sunny day. Didn’t get up too early, got breakfast, done up the work. Got ready, went down and called at Milan and Betty’s this forenoon. Came home, wrote to Dorothy McCarran, a card and a note. Sent out a Miles Kimball order and country magazine. Bill still sick. Zack up here for a sandwich. Betty and Walt up to camp.

 

 

 

Monday, November 16, 1987

 

It cleared off and was sunny. I did a big wash. Bill to the Dr.’s. He said he was okay. He has a bad cold. He don’t know much. He was sick with pneumonia. I can’t go, the darn critter. (Mascia) Betty had to clean her house all over from brick dust it flew from bricks. Baby is so cute all the time. Carmen came and clean. She went down to Betty’s a while than to work. Bill has pneumonia. His gallbladder is bad too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment