The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

November 1 - 4, 1987

Sunday, November 1, 1987

 

Cloudy in early morning. It cleared away later and a beautiful day. I done up the work. Walt up for coffee. Zack up for toast and juice. Betty came up, she and I went riding around for sake of looking around. All around North Bridgton, Harrison, Waterford. Called at Charlene and Tom’s. Came home. Carmen and Dennis at Carmen’s. Kim called and told Betty about the dance. They had a good time.

 

 

 

Monday, November 2, 1987

 

A nice sunny day. On the cool side. I did a big wash. Billie worked at Betty’s today and Carmen also. They got the hay hauled. Not too much to write about. Nice all day. I didn’t have to do much. I had hamburgers for supper. Bill out riding around in the new housing area up in the Sam Ridlon neighborhood. (It used to be).

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 3, 1987

 

I did a big ironing and other jobs. Billie down at Betty’s again helping again today. Went down to babysit while they did the outside work. I cooked a smoked shoulder and a cabbage. It was a very good supper. Carmen called in after work and had some of it. She liked it so much. I went down to vote tonight. Also we called to see Milan. He is slightly better. Carmen to the Dr. to have her back put in place.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 4, 1987

 

I didn’t do too much today. I went down and babysat while they worked outside. I went down to the barn after they got the horses fixed. It is better when they are in out of the cold. Carmen had to go to the dentist to have her tooth fixed.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment